Topography of the Titanic

By 04/11/2012Photobooks

Ex Pose_MG_3912

Belfast Exposed

Topography of the Titanic
Kai-Olaf Hesse
Texte by Ian Walker, John Stathatos & David Bate

80 pages
26.3 x 21 cm
ISBN 978-3-925935-57-2

In October 2002, German photographer Kai-Olaf Hesse initiated Topography of Titanic; an extensive photographic survey of Queens Island sites related to the making of the Titanic; the historic marks, remaining buildings, and suggestive blanks left by rapid demolition and transformation.

The River Lagan cuts through Belfast allocating the west bank of the city to Co. Antrim and the east to Co. Down. In 1840 the Lagan was straightened and the spoil was used to create a 17-acre landmass, later named Queens Island. In 1867, five years after the formation of the Harland & Wolff resident shipyard, Queens Island was connected to east Belfast. Titanic Quarter Ltd is a company set up to redevelop the almost redundant 185-acre shipyard site on Queen’s Island. As part of the government backed Regional Development Strategy, the Titanic Quarter plan aims to create up to 10,000 jobs and attract £400m in investment over a 10-15yr period. Planning applications have been submitted and the first building in a £40m science park was opened in May 2003.

 

Angel

Author Angel

More posts by Angel